Stuffed to the brim with tomatoes, spinach, and lentils, these Vegetarian Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats make a scrumptious plant-based meal. They have solely 5 major components, a number of extra seasonings, and a complete lotta taste. Make this simple stuffed spaghetti squash recipe for dinner, lunch, and even meal prep.
This publish might include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, see my affiliate disclosure.
Just like that, we made it to the primary week of February! I don’t learn about you, however I’m so happy to be getting into the month of February, primarily as a result of this implies we’re one step nearer to hotter climate.
And have you learnt what hotter temps imply?! More recent greens to experiment with for the weblog! But till then, I’ll nonetheless be whipping up tasty dishes with winter produce.
These wholesome vegetarian spaghetti squash boats are the best recipe to make on chilly winter weeknights. They’ll preserve you feeling heat and nourished all on the similar time. And if you happen to occur to get a giant spaghetti squash (like I did), you might need additional for lunch the following day. That’s a win-win state of affairs if you happen to ask me.
In phrases of the method, you understand you’ve it simple when essentially the most sophisticated a part of the recipe is cooking the lentils. The different components are kitchen staples that you could be even have hiding in your cabinets or in your fridge at this very second.
Need another excuse to present Vegetarian Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats a attempt? They haven’t one, not two, however THREE greens. Add in some lentils (protein) and a dusting of parmesan cheese (fats), and you’ve got your self a balanced meal that may preserve you satiated all night (or afternoon).
Looking for extra balanced meals that characteristic winter greens? Get your seasonal veggie meal plan right now!
How to Make Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Rub the pores and skin with a little bit olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place every half flesh-side down on a lined baking sheet. Pop within the oven for 30-45 minutes, or till tender.
- Use a fork to tug the stringy spaghetti squash away from the pores and skin.
- Combine the lentils, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, garlic, and spinach in a big skillet. Cook till heat.
- Add the filling to every spaghetti squash boat and use a fork or spoon to combine all of it collectively. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Expert Tips and FAQ
- You can cook dinner the spaghetti squash as much as 5 days upfront to save lots of time. Store in an hermetic container within the fridge and reheat within the microwave, or add it to the skillet with the filling. You can even retailer cooked spaghetti squash within the freezer in hermetic baggage for as much as Three months.
- To save much more time, attempt cooking the spaghetti squash within the microwave.
- As the title suggests, these are Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats, however you don’t have to serve the recipe within the “boats” if you happen to’d fairly eat it on plates.
- Ingredient substitutions and additions:
- To make vegan, forego the parmesan cheese. You can use dietary yeast as a substitute if desired. Some forms of parmesan cheese aren’t strictly vegetarian. If you’re involved about that, you’ll want to learn the label on the retailer.
- For a kick, attempt including pink pepper flakes.
- For some extra protein, add shredded rooster or floor turkey to the filling.
How have you learnt when a spaghetti squash is cooked?
If the spaghetti squash pores and skin is delicate to the contact, the flesh inside is cooked. When dealing with spaghetti squash within the oven, bear in mind to put on an oven mitt (it may be actually scorching!). Flip every half of the squash over to launch the steam, and use a fork to take away the flesh from the pores and skin. If it pulls away simply, the squash is cooked.
Is spaghetti squash wholesome?
Spaghetti squash is wealthy in fiber however low in starch, which will help promote good blood sugar management. It’s additionally wealthy in manganese, a hint mineral that’s concerned in bone formation and blood clotting.
Does spaghetti squash style like actual spaghetti?
Since these are Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats, a few of you might marvel in the event that they style just like precise spaghetti with pink sauce. Spaghetti squash has a really related measurement and form to precise spaghetti, nevertheless it’s barely crunchier and doesn’t have the identical taste (it tastes like squash).
More Healthy Spaghetti Squash Recipes
If you make this recipe, I’d love to listen to the way you prefer it. Please charge/evaluation utilizing the celebrities on the recipe card or within the feedback part.
Vegetarian Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats
These simple and scrumptious spaghetti squash boats include solely 5 major components and make an excellent plant-based dinner.
Print Pin Rate
Preheat oven to 400 levels F. Prepare the spaghetti squash by slicing in half and scooping out the seeds. Rub every half with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place the squash halves reduce facet down on a baking sheet lined with parchment, and bake for 35-45 minutes till tender.
While the squash is cooking, put together the lentils if you have not cooked them but (mix zero.5 cup dry lentils with 1 cup water in a saucepan, convey to a boil, then cowl and simmer for 20-25 minutes). A couple of minutes earlier than the squash is completed, add the diced tomatoes with their juices, garlic, oregano, basil, and salt to a big skillet. Heat for a couple of minutes earlier than including the spinach. Cook and stir till the spinach is wilted.
When the squash is completed, put together the boats by combining the spaghetti squash in every half with half of the lentils and tomato/spinach combination. Mix till effectively mixed. Top with freshly shredded aged parmesan cheese as desired. Enjoy!
- You can cook dinner the spaghetti squash as much as 5 days upfront. Store in an hermetic container within the fridge till you need to make the recipe. Reheat within the microwave, or add to the skillet with the filling.
- Leftovers from the complete recipe will final for Three-Four days within the fridge. Reheat within the microwave.
- To make vegan, skip the parmesan cheese.
- For an additional kick, add pink pepper flakes. You can even add shredded rooster or floor turkey.
Serving: 1boat | Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 16g | Fat: Fourg | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 437mg | Potassium: 1635mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 5097IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 289mg | Iron: 9mg
This publish was initially printed in January 2018. It was up to date with knowledgeable ideas in February 2020.
Have a cheerful and wholesome week!